This recipe from Epicurious.com is sure to be a crowd-pleaser!
- 4-6 c vegetable oil
- 3/4 c all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp grated lemon zest
- 1 c whole-milk ricotta
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 tbsp granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- Confectioners sugar for dusting
- Heat 1 1/2 inches of oil in a large, wide, heavy saucepan until it reaches 370F on a candy/deep-fry thermometer.
- Meanwhile, whisk together flour, baking powder, zest, and 1/4 tsp salt in a bowl. Whisk together ricotta, eggs, granulated sugar, and vanilla in another bowl, then whisk into flour mixture.
- Working in batches, gently drop in a level tablespoons of batter and fry, turning occasionally, until deep golden, about 3 minutes per batch. Transfer with a slotted spoon to paper towels to drain.
- Dust generously with confectioners sugar, serve hot.