We are looking to bring a new apprentice on board to help us out beginning in July. This is a great opportunity for someone looking to get in on the ground-floor of a growing, local business and really get involved in the local food community. Click through to read the full job description, and send us an e-mail if you’re interested!
Hillsborough Cheese Company is searching for a cheese apprentice to assist us in our small, family-run operation.
About the position:
This is primarily a kitchen job. Average workdays involve processing milk, making and maintaining the cheeses, fulfilling orders, and cleaning. Up to 50% of the day is often spent washing dishes and cleaning the kitchen to prevent cross-contamination of cheeses and meet state and federal regulations. There is also a physical component to the job; a lot of repeated lifting and time spent on your feet (you’ll get a workout!). Saturday mornings involve packing up, selling at one of our local markets, and then cleaning up after market. Additionally there are occasional opportunities to attend trade & food shows, events, and conferences.
What we are looking for in a new hire:
– Previous commercial kitchen experience highly desired (restaurant, catering, etc.), but we are willing to train the right candidate
– Previous retail or waitstaff experience a plus
– Must be able to work 8 hours on your feet
– Must be able to lift at least 50lbs
– Must be detail-oriented and able to juggle multiple tasks in a fast-paced environment
– Must take direction well and pay close attention to details
– Saturday morning availability is a MUST
– Ability to make a one-year commitment (due to amount of training required)
– Comprehensive training on making and maintaining cheeses! Impress your friends!
– Competitive wage compared to most kitchen jobs, with flexibility for quick increases after training
– Flexible scheduling – Saturday nights off! We also work around vacations, events, other commitments, etc. We want you to have a life outside of work!
– Fun, fast-paced work environment. Not your usual kitchen job!
– You will always be the person at a dinner party with the most interesting job.
We would prefer a full-time hire, but are also willing to consider part-time for the right person. We are looking to fill this position ASAP, so please e-mail a resume, two references, and a paragraph or two about why you would be interested in making cheese.